Monday, June 22, 2009

Chicago DUI lawyer says please don't try to represent yourself

Last week as I was leaving court a young man stopped me. I don't know what he was charged with, but the courtroom he came out of was a criminal misdemeanor room. That means upon a finding of guilty, or a plea of guilty, he could be sentenced up to a year in the Cook County Jail and face fines up to $2,500.

He asked me if he had a right to represent himself because the judge wouldn't let him do so. I told him he did have a right to represent himself, but it was not in his best interests to do so. Here's why:

  • When you represent yourself you are held to the same standards as if you are a lawyer.
  • Neither the judge nor opposing counsel, the prosecutor, are permitted to help you out.
  • That probably puts you at a distinct disadvantage to winning your case based on your lack of knowledge of the law and legal procedures.
  • Judges tend to dislike it, even when lawyers represent themselves. The belief being that when you represent yourself you lack the ability to see the other side of the case.

I know times may be economically difficult for many people. I also understand that by watching Law and Order you probably can do better than anyone against Jack McCoy. There's just one problem, Jack McCoy is a character played by an actor, not a lawyer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973