Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Subpoenas for Chicago DUI 911 tapes and other calls just shoved into a drawer


Taxpayers should be outraged.  It reminds me of the old stories of the mail carriers who used to stash undelivered mail. I have certainly noticed a slower response to my issuance of subpoenas for Chicago DUI arrest recordings to the Office of Emergency Management.  I guess now I know why.  

An employee at Chicago's 911 emergency center has been disciplined after four months worth of unprocessed subpoenas for 911 tapes were found stashed in her office drawer.

The targeted employee was assigned to process subpoenas received by the 911 center's tape review section.

Subpoenas for copies of 911 tapes are issued primarily when attorneys are attempting to prove that police, fire or emergency medical response was slow or otherwise inadequate. Prompt processing of subpoenas is essential because tapes are only stored for 60 days. If the demand for records is not granted within that time, tapes are erased and recycled.

Sources said the unprocessed subpoenas, discovered while the employee was on vacation, were more than 90 days old and some were more than 120 days old.

So, do I just give the judges and my clients the newspaper to explain why the State has delayed my clients their opportunity for justice?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973