Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chicago DUI lawyer says unless you called for the police they probably aren't there to help you


This Chicago DUI lawyer has posted here and here about whether you should submit to requests for testing from a police officer. In a nutshell, and with few exceptions, my answer is no. Still it never ceases to amaze me just how compliant people are with the commands of the police.

So here are a few examples where the police are not there to help you:

1) Any time the police offers legal advice, like what charges you could face if you just cooperate.

2) If the police say you should simply submit to the breath test and then you will be released. Okay, I know you did the breath test and it came back under the legal limit but you will be released once you provide a blood sample or a urine sample.

3) If you don't submit to this test then I will get a warrant to take your blood. (Hmmm, does that really sound like someone trying to help you).

4) Have you been drinking? How many drinks did you have (If you hear these questions, you are going to be arrested regardless of what happens next).

5) Do you take any medications? Would you mind submitting to a blood or urine test? ( This line of questioning suggests the officer thinks you are under the influence of drugs, not alcohol. Yep, that is a criminal offense.)

6) I know you said you had knee replacement surgery and you won't be able to do these Field Sobriey Tests, but why don't you try them anyway for me.

7) Have you been smoking blunts?

8) Do you mind if I search your vehicle?
As I said to a state's attorney earlier today, I really am beginning to think that lots of police officers would make great salesmen. They seem to be extremely persuasive in getting folks to help the government make its case against the individual. Then again maybe folks are just afraid of the gun and handcuffs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973