Monday, October 12, 2009

Chicago DUI lawyer comments on unpaid tolls and suspended licenses

This Chicago DUI lawyer has posted here the consequences of a suspended license. I've also posted here an array of minor things that can cause you to have your license suspended. Now comes news of just how expensive those little things can get.

I get a lot of calls from people who claim they got big, surprise bills from the Illinois Tollway. Sometimes I'm able to help, sometimes not.

I've often wondered, with skepticism, how it is that someone could miss notice after notice until a bill ends up being 100 times higher than the original missed tolls?

Until it happened to me.

Last Monday, I got a call from a law firm informing me that I owed $496 in unpaid tolls and fees, and if I didn't pay, the state would suspend my driver's license.

My heart stopped -- and then I yelled into the phone, "What? What?!"

The unflappable young lady at the other end of the line said I'd missed seven tolls, in 2006 and 2007. Each violation had accumulated $70 in fines.

Okay, let's say the original tolls were something we don't see here in Illinois $5 each. That would mean they were originally $35.00. Does anyone else think that $496 for something that was originally $35.00 max is reasonable? How about suspending her license? The same thing frequently occurs with parking tickets. Wanna know the kicker? Let's say she didn't know her license was suspended and she get's stopped for a DUI. She's looking at an automatic felony for driving with a suspended license, not because she harmed anyone save herself in her DUI arrest.

I would strongly suggest you keep tabs on your driving record the same way you do your credit reports. Get a copy of your driving record from the Secretary of State at least once a year to review it and make sure you aren't in for any surprises.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973