Friday, March 13, 2009

Erroneous abstracts and the need for attention to detail


I recently posted here, about about Chicago Top DUI Cop Joe Parker's highly questionable DUI arrests. Today I came across a different kind of 'mistake' which has serious consequences for anyone arrested for DUI in Chicago. I was reviewing a client's driving abstract, with a very long driving background.  I noticed many cases that had the disposition "judgment on bond forfeiture" (JBFX).  I began to cross-check them and discovered these matters were not supposed to be a part of his driving record, rather these matters had been dismissed.  
My heart was in my throat when I saw that this young man had spent a considerable amount of time in jail because the State's Attorney, and the court, relied on an official driving record that was chock-full of errors. All of the errors were against my client, none of the errors were to his benefit.
In the past I have seen approximately one error per year in all the countless abstracts I review.  The errors I have found to date have been always been connected to a Chicago DUI that my client claimed not to have.  That miniscule number of errors, while not acceptable, is at least understandable.  The record I reviewed today is neither understandable nor acceptable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973