Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chicago DUI attorney doesn't think the law is a laughing matter



This Chicago DUI attorney thinks it’s time you know that things aren’t always fair.

I was in a pre-sentencing conference with a judge and a couple of prosecutors. 

There was lots of laughter.  It wasn’t funny to me.

My client had been charged with a DUI, more than once.  Each time he was charged with a DUI, the charges have been dismissed.  Unfortunately, his license is suspended.

I’ve posted herehere, and here about the specialized suspension that occurs whenever someone is charged with a DUI.  It’s called a Statutory Summary Suspension.  If a person is charged with driving (not drunk driving, just driving) during the period of Statutory Summary Suspension the penalty from the Secretary of State, is to double the length of the suspension.

So what was the laughter about?  Right now, if there are no changes to the law, my client won’t be able to drive, simply because he was charged with a DUI, for approximately ten years.  One of the sentencing participants has a child under the age of ten.  That child will be able to drive legally before my client can.

Each time he drove, while his license was suspended, based on a DUI arrest that was dismissed, the Secretary of State exacts its pound of flesh.  That’s on top of whatever fines or penalties he paid for the charge of driving while his license was suspended.

Sometimes you win the battles and still lose the war.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973