Friday, May 21, 2010

Chicago DUI attorney comments on the importance of timeliness

This Chicago DUI attorney had a great time at dinner.  There were plenty of jokes to go around.  One even provided some insight into some of my tendencies.

Socially, those who know me see me as a bit uptight about being punctual.  Even tonight, one person asked if my husband and I exchanged calendar invites through Outlook.  When I said yes, there was a bit of laughter.  Then it dawned on me that maybe I took timeliness a bit more serious than the others perhaps because of my work.

As a trial attorney, every day I see what happens when folks are late to court, or don’t make it to their court dates (perhaps with a very good reason).  Most notably, a warrant will be issued for the person's arrest or if the warrant was already issued the judge may decide to execute the warrant and take the individual into custody.  Just yesterday, my client was late and the judge decided to follow the government's request that a warrant be issued.  I protested and asked the judge to give me a bit of time to get my client into court because he had not missed court before.  Fortunately, my client arrived just before the warrant was issued.  He got an earful from the judge about being late.

You know its one thing to be late for dinner or even a doctor’s appointment, you apologize and the event continues or at worse it’s rescheduled.  There’s very little in life where being tardy or absent can literally cost one their freedom.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973