Saturday, April 3, 2010

Chicago DUI lawyer comments on VIPs and professional courtesies


This Chicago DUI lawyer hears from her clients that VIPs get special treatment with DUI’s. I keep telling them that there are plenty of VIPs who get charged with DUI’s. Still, there is a persistent sense by many that police make arbitrary decisions as to whether you will get charged with a DUI based on what the officer thinks of you. Unfortunately, stories like this one of a politician just strengthen those beliefs.

April 3, New York City, NY
Hoboken Police Sgt. Peck: Sgt. Peck, how can I help you?
NYPD P.O. Liotta: Yeah, good morning, sarge. My name is Police Officer Liotta. I'm from the New York City Highway Patrol. I got a question.
Sgt. Peck: Sure.
P.O. Liotta: Of course this is a purely hypothetical situation.
Sgt. Peck: Of course.
P.O. Liotta: Um, if a certain person identifies himself as the City Council president for the city of Hoboken, New Jersey?
Sgt. Peck: OK.
P.O. Liotta: Um, who's name might or might not be Christopher Campos?
Sgt. Peck: Right.
P.O Liotta: Um ... would it be a good or maybe a bad thing for him to become a guest of the city tonight?
Sgt. Peck: A guest of the city tonight? I would, uh... OK, I'm sorry, who am I speaking with?
P.O. Liotta: Officer Liotta.
Sgt. Peck: Officer Liotta, I would expect you to do your duty, sir. I would expect you to enforce the law.
P.O. Liotta: OK.
Sgt. Peck: Now, that's all. I'm not, I'm not gonna tell you anything otherwise, I cannot tell you anything otherwise. I would advise you to do your job ... My desk lieutenant just stepped away, I can run it by him, but, um, I'm sure he would say the same thing if you want to hold on so we can get two people telling you that.
P.O. Liotta: Uh ... No, that's fine. Your opinion ... does it for me.
Sgt. Peck: In this hypothetical situation, can I, uh, what is the offense?
P.O. Liotta: Um, it might be DWI.
Sgt. Peck: Oh really? Interesting. Interesting.
P.O. Liotta: Does City Council, you know, favor you guys?
Sgt. Peck: No, no ...
P.O Liotta: Um, should I enforce this thing, or ...?
Sgt. Peck: Well ... that's besides the point, whether they're good to us or whether they're not good to us, I would expect you to - they're not - but I would expect you to ... regardless, I would expect you to do your job, but that's besides the point.
P.O. Liotta: OK.
Sgt. Peck: That's besides the point. We've been without a contract for two years. That's besides the point. I would expect you to do your job.
P.O. Liotta: Very good sir.
Sgt. Peck: Right.
P.O. Liotta: Yeah, I think my job will be done.
Sgt. Peck: OK.
This exchange suggests that if the Sgt. in Hoboken liked the City Council President, or he had not been working without a contract for the last two years, perhaps he would have suggested a professional courtesy be extended to Council President Campos.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973