Friday, March 19, 2010

Chicago DUI lawyer is glad that DUI cops don't decide guilt


Today, this Chicago DUI lawyer heard it straight from the police officer’s mouth. “I only charge them if they are guilty.” The case didn’t look that open and shut to me.

Why not?

1. There was no accident
2. There was no bad driving
3. The individual wasn’t accused of stumbling, tripping, falling, vomiting,
urinating, sleeping or fighting
4. There was no drug recovery

The accused was charged with a DUI based on Driving Under the Influence of Cannabis. This occurred when the accused was stopped at a roadside safety check.

I just don’t get it. I reminded the officer that if his word was all that was necessary we wouldn’t need courts at all. I can’t imagine why he seems to think to the contrary, but Americans have decided that police don’t decide if an individual is guilty or not. We’ve left that task up to the justice system.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973