Monday, May 7, 2012

Chicago DUI Attorney Comments on Sometimes It Isn’t What It Appears to Be


This Chicago DUI Attorney has posted here and here about the signs officers use to make a DUI arrest.  A strong practitioner can sing these signs the way a 3 year old can sing their ABC’s.  Almost every arrest includes the following:

  • A strong odor of alcohol
  • Eyes that are Bloodshot and/or glassy, and/or red
  • Speech that is slurred, mumbled, thick- tongued, confused


And every time I have an officer testifying about these signs, I ask if there are any other reasons a person could possess those signs that has nothing to do with a DUI.  Most will be honest, although they may physically pout, and answer “yes”.

So what happens when the arresting officer shows up with those signs?  Today I asked an officer I knew what was wrong with her eyes. 

Me:                                      You know they (her eyes) are bloodshot and red don’t you?
Officer:                                 Ava, I’m exhausted I haven’t slept in almost 48 hours.
Me:                                      Have you been drinking?
Officer (caught by surprise):  Of course not!

All those signs of intoxication should be challenged, because the officer has often experienced those very same signs when they are not under the influence. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973