Monday, November 15, 2010

Chicago DUI attorney wonders if you will get an A on the Pop Quiz


  

True or False:  Court Supervision Does Not Appear On Your Driving Record

I was in court when the judge said:  “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah (Best Charlie Brown’s School Teacher Voice) and if you have a good driving background I will give you Court Supervision.  Court Supervision WILL NOT appear on your driving record.”

I was shocked.  Over the years I’ve had many, many clients tell me that the judge told them the charges were gone, although they paid a fine.  Whenever this happened, I always tilted my head in disbelief because surely they must have misunderstood what the judge said.  The conversation would then go something like this:

Attorney:         So you were speeding?
Client:             Yes.
Attorney:         You went before the judge?
Client:             Yes.
Attorney:         You told the judge you were speeding?
Client:             Yes.
Attorney:         The judge found you guilty, right?
Client:             No.  He said it wouldn’t be on my record and I could just pay a little
fine.
Attorney:         [Brows furrowed while reviewing client’s driving record]You got the
                        speeding ticket on January 6th?
Client:             Yep.  I asked the cop to let me go because it was my birthday.
Attorney:         You went to court for the speeding ticket at the Markham Court
House?
Client:             Yes.  I paid the fine like the judge said.
Attorney:         If it wasn’t on your record, why do I know the date you got the ticket
And what Court house you appeared?
Client:             You mean the judge lied to me!
Attorney:         I’m sure you just misunderstood the judge.

Let’s be clear, court supervision does go on your driving record.  I know it seems like a waste of time to hire an attorney for a minor traffic ticket but you may do well to listen to the first part of the judge’s speech, you know the one where he says he can’t give you any legal advice.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973