Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chicago DUI attorney shares what she heard in court

This Chicago DUI attorney has posted here and here about suspended driver’s licenses.

Today the following PSA was made from the bench:

Everyone in this room is charged with driving while their license is suspended or revoked.  Even though I’m the judge, I can’t give you your license back.  The prosecutor standing to my left can’t give you your license back.

Only the Secretary of State can give you your license back.

The response from everyone in the courtroom follows:

  • Blank looks,
  • Quiet enough to hear a pin drop
  • “Huh”?
  • I need a blanket so I can catch up on my zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


It’s a jailable offense.  You need to have an attorney represent you.  Otherwise today’s small fine as a first time offender has a tendency to become tomorrow’s offer for jail when you are on your fifteenth offense for driving while your license is suspended or revoked.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please do not leave personal information or specific legal questions in the comment field. If you need legal assistance, the best way to get in touch with me is to call my office at 312.944.3973